Cerebral palsy, a condition resulting from injuries to a child’s brain while in the womb or at birth, can lead to impaired movements, speech, and motor skills. While these symptoms can make every day life challenging, treatments are available to aid those with CP in alleviating some of these symptoms. As stated by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), “Many children go on to enjoy near-normal adult lives if their disabilities are properly managed.” Below is a list of some of the options available to those with CP to make every day life more manageable, as well as a description of how. In this post, we discuss the various potential members of a medical care team.

Overall, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises parents and family of those with CP to enter their children into treatment programs as early as possible to maximize the effects of the treatment. The CDC also notes that “no single treatment is the best one for all children with CP.”
Physical therapists – Physical therapy is an option that many with CP begin very soon after the diagnosis is made (or in the first few years of life). The NINDS states that physical therapy is a “cornerstone of CP treatment,” as the exercises improve mobility and strength and stretch the muscles. Typical physical therapy consists of resistive and strength training programs.
Occupational therapists – Occupational therapists, according to the Mayo Clinic, “can provide therapy to your child to develop daily skills and to learn to use adaptive products that help with daily activities.” Occupational therapy helps to enhance upper body function and improve mobility, according to the NINDS. Additionally, it will help children manage everyday activities such as getting dressed and going to school.
Speech-language pathologists – If a child with CP has difficulty speaking, swallowing, or with language due to CP, then a speech pathologist, or a “doctor trained in diagnosing and treating speech,” can help, says the Mayo Clinic. Speech language pathologists can not only help children with CP in speaking, but can also teach them how to communicate with sign language and other devices, such as computers and voice synthesizers.
Pediatricians – Last but certainly not least, a pediatrician can help generally by formulating a treatment plan and determining what kind of medical care would best suit the child.
If your loved one suffers from cerebral palsy, call us for help. We will talk to you and review your case for free. The Tyrone Law Firm specializes in representing those who have suffered a devastating injury, such as birth injuries or traumatic brain injury resulting from the negligence of another. Our personal injury firm here in Atlanta has a very successful record of trying such cases.
Nelson Tyrone handles Brain Injury, Spine Injury and RSD/CRPS cases throughout the United States. He involves only the top medical, rehabilitation and life-care plan experts in the field. His results on behalf of clients include several of the largest settlements and verdicts on record.
You can reach us at 404-377-0017 or via email at admin@tyronelaw.com. If we can’t help you, we will do our best to put you into the hands of lawyers who can.
Additional Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This