American RSDHope Organization
If you have RSD/CRPS, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to arm yourself with information and to find support, whether online or in person. No one can understand what you are going through as much as another person who is suffering from the condition just as you are. You are not alone. There are people out there waiting to help and support you.
One such group is American RSDHope. It is one of two national non-profit CRPS organizations in the United States. It was started in 1995 by Bob, Lynne, and Keith Orsini to support and educate CRPS patients and the general public.
Keith was diagnosed with RSD in 1993, 8 years after he broke his back in a car accident. After being diagnosed, he discovered that his doctor knew little more than he did about RSD. When Keith tried to look elsewhere for information on his condition, he discovered a lack of available knowledge on the condition.
Some of the items you will find on the site are:
- FAQs . The FAQs section contains much information that would be important for anyone suffering from CRPS, as well as very helpful to your support network of family and friends.
- Also under FAQs, see: The top 15 CRPS Questions. This is a very good Q&A section, including a link to an easy- to- read explanation addressing the confusion between the terms CRPS and RSD.
- Some good information about how to get started with the Social Security Disability process can be found here.
- Under the Articles tab, the Beginner's Guide to CRPS is very helpful to those newly diagnosed. It is also meant to be used as an educational tool for your support network of friends and family. This is a good place to start reading, it contains a list pointing out what you should be sure to read from their site.
- The Physical Therapy section gives guidelines for selecting a physical therapist - what to look for and what to avoid. Also invaluable information regarding the use of ice and how it can actually accelerate your CRPS rather than help it. This fact is not always known to physical therapists.
- Treatment and Drug information.
- Under Links, check out RSDHope Teen Corner, RSDHope Mentor Program, and Support Links.
- Click here to get your .jpg of the National CRPS Awareness Ribbon to display on your website or on your FaceBook page. A smaller version of the ribbon is also available that can be attached to emails.
- Read Keith's blog at Pain is a Four Letter Word, detailing his day to day experience with CRPS.
If you have been diagnosed with RSD/CRPS as the result of a traumatic injury or accident and feel that you may need an attorney, contact us at the Tyrone Law Firm and talk to us about your specific situation. Our number is 404-377-0017. We will sit down with you free of charge and discuss what we can do for you.
Nelson Tyrone handles Brain Injury, Spine Injury and RSD/CRPS cases throughout the United States. He involves only the top medical, rehabilitation and life-care plan experts in the field. His results on behalf of clients include several of the largest settlements and verdicts on records.
If we can't help you, we will do our best to put you in the hands of lawyers who can.