Seizures and Epilepsy
Birth Injury Attorneys Explain
A common birth injury that effects many children shortly after birth (or sometimes for the rest of their lives) is seizures and epilepsy. And while infant seizures may be a warning sign that a child has epilepsy, seizures can occur for many other reasons.
There are several different kinds of seizures. Some of the most common ones experienced by newborn children include:
- Subtle seizures (small seizures or repetitive movements)
- Clonic seizures (slower seizures that only affect one part of the body)
- Myoclonic seizures (rapid movements and jerking)
- Tonic seizures (prolonged, sustained seizures)
Seizures are also sometimes classified into the following categories:
- Generalized onset seizures (affect both sides of brain)
- Focal onset seizures (affect specific part of body)
- Unknown onset seizures (origin of seizure unknown)
There are many reasons why newborn children have seizures soon after being born and, in some cases, for the rest of their lives. Some of the most common causes of infant seizures include:
- Oxygen deprivation during pregnancy or delivery
- Hemorrhaging (bleeding) in baby's brain during delivery or labor
- Infections to mother or fetus during pregnancy
- Prolonged labor
- Infections and sepsis
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Bilirubin Encephalopathy (Kernicterus)
- Abnormal fetal position or presentation
There are many other reasons why newborn babies frequently have seizures. And in each case, it's important to contact an attorney at our law firm as soon as possible about all the legal options available to you.
We Can Help
When you have our Atlanta law firm on your side, you can take on the doctors, hospitals or insurance companies that refuse to fairly compensate your family for your child's injuries. Attorney Nelson Tyrone and his talented legal team have years of experience handling such complex cases. That's why we have such a strong track record of success.
But it's more than just our experience that sets us apart. We only handle birth injury cases. We only work with a limited number of families. Even after we secure a settlement or verdict, we stay involved in our clients' lives. We sponsor numerous events, and we give back to organizations that support the families we work with.
Find out how we can help you. Tell us your story. Contact the Tyrone Law Firm, PC and schedule your free consultation today. We work this way because we want to work with families who need our help the most. Your best interests always come first here.
"We have a son with a birth injury and reached out to the Tyrone Law Firm for representation. We have had nothing but the most productive and informative meetings/talks/phone conversations with them from the start. We truly feel that they are fighting for us...for OUR SON...and they are doing this because they believe in justice for OUR SON."