Brain Injuries and Birth Injuries
Our Attorneys Deliver Results
Brain injuries to newborn children can last a lifetime. That's why brain injuries are among the most serious birth injuries we deal with at the Tyrone Law Firm, PC in Atlanta. We know that the injuries sustained by babies before, during or just after birth can affect them for the rest of their lives.
There are many different types of infant brain injuries. Some of the most common ones include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries, which are divided into two categories:
- Closed Brain Injury (Internal damage to brain)
- Open Brain Injury (Damage to brain caused by penetrating object or skull fracture)
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy
- Intellectual disability
- Cerebral palsy
Caring for a child with a permanent brain injury can be a daunting task. And since many children with brain injuries have developmental delays, they require round-the-clock care for their entire lives.
There are many risk factors for infant brain injuries which doctors need to be aware of during a woman's pregnancy or delivery. Some of the most common - and serious - risk factors for brain injuries include:
- Oxygen deprivation - Also known as birth asphyxia, oxygen deprivation is one of the leading causes of permanent brain injuries for newborn children. Depending on how long and how much the oxygen supply has been reduced to the baby, the severity of the brain injury can vary.
- Infections in mother's body - Infections in pregnant women have been linked to birth injuries in newborn children. Common infections which can potentially be a problem include herpes, rubella and syphilis.
- Size of fetus - If a baby is larger than normal, there could be complications associated with the birth. This condition is known as macrosomia. If an unborn baby's head becomes trapped or compressed (especially during a difficult labor or delivery), brain injuries are possible.
- Physical trauma during pregnancy - A difficult labor or delivery can potentially result in a permanent brain injury to the unborn baby, especially if a medical professional misuses tools such as forceps.
- Previous difficult deliveries - If the mother previously had a difficult delivery, there is an increased likelihood that the mother could have another difficult delivery resulting in a brain injury.
Many other risk factors exist. If you suspect your child sustained a permanent brain injury due to one of these risk factors or another one, we strongly urge you to contact our law firm today.
There are many reasons why babies sustain brain injuries before, during or shortly after being born. Some of the most common causes include:
- Umbilical cord becomes wrapped around unborn baby's neck
- Prolonged labor
- Medication errors during delivery
- Misuse of forceps and extractors
Other common causes exist. Experienced doctors know what to look for and how to anticipate potential problems. Often, the medically indicated response is to deliver a baby via a cesarean section (C-section) instead of a traditional vaginal birth.
There are many warning signs that a newborn baby has a brain injury. These symptoms may include:
- Multi-system organ failure
- Low APGAR scores
- Development delays
- Less physically responsive
- Excessive crying
- Seizures within 24 hours of birth
If something doesn't seem right, talk to your doctor or seek a second medical opinion. And contact our law firm.
We Can Help
You might think you don't need a lawyer if your child sustained a brain injury before or shortly after birth. All you have to do is talk to your doctor and your insurance company and they will take care of everything, right?
Unfortunately, such cases are rarely straightforward. In most cases, doctors or hospitals rarely admit they did anything wrong. Instead, they may insist that your child's injury was simply an accident and therefore, they're not responsible for compensating your family.
But the reality is many birth injuries occur due to mistakes made by medical professionals. As your attorney, we can help you get the care and services your child will need to live with a brain injury. Our law firm focuses exclusively on birth injury cases. And since we work with a select number of families, you know that your case will receive our full attention. Find out how we can help your family. Contact us.
"We have a son with a birth injury and reached out to the Tyrone Law Firm for representation. We have had nothing but the most productive and informative meetings/talks/phone conversations with them from the start. We truly feel that they are fighting for us...for OUR SON...and they are doing this because they believe in justice for OUR SON."